How You Can Help Fight Fraud
Report a lost or stolen debit card as soon as possible
Has your card been lost or stolen? Either call 1-800-682-6075 (if outside the US or Canada, call collect 1-206-352-3482) or online at www.reportmycards.com.
Report unauthorized transaction on your account as soon as possible
As soon as you discover unauthorized transactions on your account call us at 717-533-9174 to prevent additional unauthorized transactions.
Receive alerts for HFCU Visa® debit and Visa credit card transactions
HFCU members can sign up to receive text message alerts when certain transactions occur on their HFCU Visa debit cards and Visa credit cards. To sign up for these alerts, cardholders need to register their cards and mobile phones by visiting the HFCU smsGuardian® text alerts website at: https://www.cardguardian.com/CardGuardian/signon.do?fid=
Text alerts are real-time, meaning they happen as soon as the transaction takes place and can help members detect fraud on their cards. However, these text alerts do not replace the HFCU Fraud Center alerts (via text, email or phone call) when the Fraud Center detects potentially fraudulent transactions on the HFCU debit and credit cards.
The types of alerts included in this service are:
- All international transactions
- Authorizations greater than $250
- 8 or more transactions in 24 hours
- Card not present (online & phone orders)
- Out of state transaction
- Estimated amount transactions (when the merchant estimates the authorization amount and does not know the final transaction amount when the transaction begins).
Message and Data Rates May Apply. There is no charge from HFCU to use this service. View smsGuardian Website Terms and Conditions.
Receive fraud alerts on all Visa cards
All HFCU Visa debit and credit cards are enabled with fraud protection alerts that are separate from the ones listed above and are automatically enabled on all cards. Keeping your contact information up-to-date with HFCU allows our fraud department to contact you as soon as suspected fraud is detected on your cards.
Get mobile banking alerts
When you are logged into mobile banking, you can set up account alerts by clicking the alerts tab. Learn more about mobile banking.
Enroll in Verified by Visa®
In addition to our other ways of preventing, detecting, and resolving fraud, we offer Verified by Visa, a free, simple-to-use service that confirms your identity with an extra password when you make an online transaction. It's easy and only takes a few moments to activate your credit card. You can activate right here on the secure Visa Verified by Visa site.
8 simple tips to fight fraud
- Immediately report lost or stolen cards
- Cover your ATM PIN pad when entering your number
- Choose a credit and debit card PIN that is difficult to guess, but easy for you to remember
- Do not reply to any email, text or phone requests for your social security number, credit or debit account number or any other personal information
- Monitor your credit report, credit and debit card accounts and statements for unauthorized transactions
- Shred all credit and debit card statements or financial documents before you throw them away
- Before making purchases online with your credit or debit card, make sure the website is secure and the company is reputable
- Update anti-virus and spyware software regularly
Keep your computer up-to-date on software and security
Credit Union members that run legacy operating systems and browsers such as Windows XP & Internet Explorer 6 will not be able to access Internet Branch due to recent security threats targeted at the legacy products.
Important websites to help fight fraud
- Data Breach Today
- On Guard Online
- McAfee Consumer Security Info
- New E-Scams & Warnings
- FBI Common Fraud Schemes
- PA Attorney General
- FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
- Better Business Bureau
- NCUA "National Credit Union Administration" Texting Phishing Scam
- Text Scam Going to Consumers from NCUA Phone Number " Spoofing" Scam
- Steps to Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
- What to know about the new credit and debit cards
- Scam du jour: Chip card scams